Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the CDC recommends the use of cloth face masks to slow down the spread of the virus. There are almost 2 million cases across the world. Social distancing has been recommended as a measure to curb the spread of the virus. The virus is spread when an infected person passes out tiny particles through talking, breathing, sneezing, or coughing.
Wearing cloth face masks out in public helps with preventing the tiny particles you will emit from talking, coughing, sneezing, or breathing from reaching others. Due to the shortage in supplies of surgical masks, and the N-95 respirators, cloth face masks are recommended so that there are enough supplies for healthcare workers. Face masks help in protecting others from you, in case you are infected with the virus and you aren’t aware yet. The CDC recommends the use of cloth face masks when going out into crowded places like grocery stores or pharmacies, where social distancing is hard to maintain.
The cloth face masks should not be worn by children who are below the age of 2 years old, anyone who has any breathing problems, or anyone who doesn’t have the capacity to remove the mask without assistance.
The type of material you use for your cloth face mask should: be washable, allow breathing without any constraints, and it should fit comfortably. Making cloth face masks is fast, easy, and not costly at all. The required materials are easily accessible and are probably already laying around in your house.
The cloth face mask should be washed according to the frequency of use. You must avoid touching the front of the mask when you are wearing it. Safely use the loops on the mask to remove it and ensure you don’t touch your face. Wash your hands immediately using soap. Wash the mask after removing it.
Remember the use of a mask alone isn’t enough. Always use alcohol-based hand rubs on your hands or clean them with soap and running water.
Follow the following steps to create your own cloth face mask.
• Bandana or cotton cloth approximately 20” × 20”.
• 2 rubber bands or hair ties.
1. Lay the bandana or cotton cloth out flat on a surface and fold it in half.
2. Fold the already half folded bandana or cotton cloth in half again.
3. Take one of your rubber bands or hair ties and wrap it around the bandana or cotton cloth on one side and pull it to the middle.
4. Take the second rubber band or hair tie and wrap it around the other side of the bandana or cloth and pull it to the middle. Make sure the 2 rubber bands or hair ties are 6 inches apart.
5. Fold the outer edges of bandana or cotton cloth in, and layer them on top of each other.
6. Pick up the rubber bands or hair ties and wrap each around your ears to wear your face mask.